[NBLUG/talk] Need help with booting Linux system

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 10:59:53 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:

> I did what probably rates as the dumbest thing possible with my Linux
> server (Centos 4): deleted the boot files.  However, I caught the error
> *before* doing a reboot and found many (I hope all) of the files, but due to
> my limited Linux admin experience, I have concern about rebooting without
> having someone with more expertise than I have to be present at that moment.
>
> I downloaded the latest version of Centos 4.8 and have it on disks, so the
> repair program is present.  This server is quite simple: just use it to
> share images, test php applications and to ftp work to others.  For this
> reason, it only gets touched by me to back up data (unfortunately, not the
> system) and to do yum updates.  As a result, I do not have occasion to use
> Linux often enough to keep my skill set up.
>
> For being here to help with the reboot, I am willing to pay someone...

Well, I'm not going to go out from Michigan to be there ^_^ but here's my
basic recommendation.  Boot from a CD and back up -everything- possible
before rebooting.  That way if anything hits the fan you can put everything
back once you reload the O/S.

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.