[NBLUG/talk] Glitches in a VirtualBox guest?

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 22:28:06 PST 2012

I have a rather odd setup on my work PC: the host OS is Windows 7
Enterprise 64-bit (not my choice), and I have a few VMs under
VirtualBox 4.0.0, each running Red Hat Enterprise Server 5.6 (mostly
64-bit, but one VM is 32-bit) with the exact same kickstart that is
used on some of our lab machines (various Dell PowerEdge rackmount
servers, not using VMs).  For the most part, the VMs work exactly like
the lab machines, but every so often, I'll try to build a C++ project
on a VM, and either g++ or ld will segfault, seemingly at random (it
could be on the first source file or shared object, or it could be
several minutes into the build).  I've never seen these sorts of
failures on the lab machines.  I have not seen any other processes
crash randomly on the VMs, although for all I know right now that
might just be a coincidence.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this, and/or have any ideas what
might cause it?  Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot it, either from
VirtualBox or from the guest OS?