[NBLUG/talk] Linux setup help

Zack Gold zack at nblug.org
Wed Jun 19 16:07:02 PDT 2013

But isn't that how VirtualBox stores the virtual machines? Through a single
file? The bottleneck of a single file's capabilities to be processed is
based on the specifications of the device that stores that one single file.
The CPU is involved in processing the data, but the device that manages the
file needs to be able to read and write quickly.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Jordan Erickson <
jerickson at logicalnetworking.net> wrote:

> I don't really agree with that, but definitely agree that using an SSD
> for your OS partitions will increase the overall speed of your system
> (VM or not).
>
> IMHO virtualization bottlenecks would most likely come from your CPU not
> having the VT instruction set available (or turned on in the BIOS)
> and/or lack of memory to run them...though if it's a Win8 laptop, I
> would *hope* they would have a whole lot of ram ;)
>
> What you *should* do is have Linux as your host OS and virtualize
> Windows 8......dot dot dot
>

> Cheers,
> Jordan
>

> On 06/19/2013 02:38 PM, Zack Gold wrote:
> > If Ubuntu runs slow on your new laptop, it'll probably be caused by a
> > bottleneck in hard drive resources. Another suggestion might be to buy
> > a solid-state drive, since a virtual machine is going to be
> > inconveniently slow if your laptop is running off a hard drive disk.
> >

> *snip*
>
> --
> Jordan Erickson (PGP: 0xDA470FF8)

Zack Gold