[NBLUG/talk] ASN.1 / BER

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed May 1 20:05:16 PDT 2013

My old tagline was "Panties, not the best thing in the world; but real
close." Was a little too much for relatives though.

I'm creating a program to interact with a server that sends packets in
this protocol. The protocol seems to have very exacting definitions, but
the (semi-government) server people don't provide a specification that
really looks like the cryptic ones I see everywhere in ASN.1/BER.

They did provide with me with a hex dump of a captured session. I've
been decoding the way the protocol actually turns into something but I
haven't figured out all the bits. It's mostly integers (02) and octet
strings (04).

I'm sure I could just communicate with the server raw (I do that now
with a 3270 session with the same semi-govenment entity), but it'd be
nicer if I could just use a definition that the perl ASN translator
could translate for me.