[NBLUG/talk] a problem with audio noise

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Thu May 30 13:56:45 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 01:40:29PM -0700, jezra wrote:
 > Although I don't have an oscilloscope, I do have a box of electronic
 > components, and I'll try Frank's suggestion of using a capacitor.
 > However, when it comes to electronics, I know just about nothing, so I
 > don't know what sort of capacitor to use for this.

Jezra,

Use a aluminum electrolytic capacitor.

I don't know what the voltage of your power supply is.  5V?  Capacitor
companies lie about their voltage ratings.  If you put a 5V cap on a 5V
circuit it will eventually blow up or short out or just stop working.
Multiply the voltage by at least two, or better yet three.  Get a
capacitor of that voltage or higher.

I don't know anything about your power supply or your amp, but 100uF
(micro Farads) should do it.  Smaller would have less effect, but if
that's all you have give it a try.

Aluminum electrolytic capacitors look like this:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00uBVtoMvqfNbl/High-Ripple-Current-Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitor.jpg

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com