[NBLUG/talk] Installation problem

Michael Dooley mdooley at sonic.net
Thu Oct 10 14:45:08 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 01:22 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:

> So I tried a bunch of things I found on the Internet without much
> success.  Then I did a phone consultation with NBLUG member Bill Marlin.
>   He had me check a few things and came to the conclusion that there was
> something amiss in the connection with my router.  What finally fixed it
> was simple:
>
> - Cycle power on router
> - Wait several minutes
>
> Apparently every time Windows XP shuts down it does something sneaky to
> prevent Linux from finding the router.  The next time I boot Linux I
> have to reset the router before the Internet works.
>
> Everything seems to be working now.  Many thanks Michael and Steve for
> all your help.

I think that there may be something else going on here. Like Steve, I
have several OS's up and down on various boxes many times during the
course of the day and none of the Windows installations have made the
succeeding boot of a linux OS in any way problematic.

When you get a moment, take a look at your router set-up and/or check
your ubuntu install connection information. Something is fishy...

--
Michael