[NBLUG/talk] Routing to a web proxy from an embedded device

Matt Hardwick matthew.hardwick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 16:53:09 PST 2014

Hi Everyone,

I have a situation where I have an embedded device that will only allow
itself to get an IP address via DHCP. I want to be able to somehow route
that device through a Fiddler/Charles proxy for development purposes.

Normally for most devices that support a web proxy, and manual ip
configuration I would just setup the device to point to my development
boxes Fiddler/Charles proxy, but in this case I can't because the device
does not support it.

If you are unfamiliar with Fiddler it is a Windows based application that
can act as a proxy where you can auto respond to HTTP traffic, simulate all
sorts of bad requests and latency, manipulate data, trace calls, view
headers, etc. It is a pretty amazing tool for development, but for embedded
devices with only DHCP abilities there isn't really a clean way to use it.
Charles is a similar piece of software but is also available for Mac and
Linux -- I don't have experience with it but will likely try it out because
for the first time in a long time I don't have a dependency on Windows for
development.

The device in question does support the ability to capture pcap, but it's
truncated, and can only be viewed after the fact, so for looking at the
data calls in say Wireshark this is a partial solution, but the
manipulation ability would be missing.

I figured this might be a good forum to check with because I will likely
have to setup a linux box to act as a router.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt