[NBLUG/talk] SCO 6 / Unix5

Ed Rogers ed at rogersecommerce.com
Fri Feb 27 12:34:04 PST 2015

'one of the best things about *nix is that no OS is the same'

I love it. That's also one of the best things about Windows ...
relearning how to do the same things you used to know how to do but
can't do that way anymore.

Quoting "Jordan Erickson" <jerickson at logicalnetworking.net>:

> IMHO one of the best things about *nix is that no OS is the same. It is
> awkward sitting in front of an unfamiliar system. Initially I always get
> this mental resistance if I can't find or figure out something like,
> 'Argh, f it were only the same as XYZ, grumble grumble...'. But after I
> get over that, I start to learn and things get exciting.
>
> On 02/27/2015 08:38 AM, gandalf at sonic.net wrote:
>> Yesterday I got to work on a SCO6 system installing a backup system.
>> It was like using a very old, very odd version of Linux, or perhaps
>> Linux is odd and that's more normal. Everything was basically
>> recognizable, but oddly different in unexpected ways. I was using
>> putty terminals and I never could get the settings right which made
>> everything double the pain as none of the special keys worked. Did
>> learn about x/X in VI which are handy when the backspace and delete
>> key don't work. Restarting the ssh daemon was incredibly difficult.
>> One person advised to find the pid and kill it, but I didn't want to
>> kill my session. I think I did find the script and run it, but it just
>> gave me an odd command to run. Worked when I did it though.

The real goal with lime mortar is to eliminate the use of cement which
is unnecessarily strong, rigid and is not breathable.