[NBLUG/talk] Reviving an OLPC XO-1 laptop

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Sun Mar 29 13:37:35 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-29 13:06, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I have an XO-1 laptop from the "give 1 get 1" program (circa 2008?)
> that
> has been sitting in storage for over five years, and I wanted to find a
> new
> use for it.  It looks like it's powerful enough that I could use it
> e.g. to
> control a couple of headless server via SSH, but I noticed that the OS
> is
> based on Fedora 9, which is so old that there's no clear upgrade path
> for
> it, and it has numerous unpatched security flaws such as GHOST.
>
> Has anyone tried to upgrade the XO-1 to a newer OS?  Is it worth the
> effort?  I see on the OLPC website that they offer kits that you can
> use to
> upgrade the hardware (which presumably include a new OS), but I don't
> know
> if I want to go that far yet (even if the original hardware IS less
> powerful than a Raspberry Pi).
>

> Thanks in advance.

Take a look here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes

There's a bit of a community near by: olpcsf.org

The next meeting hasn't been posted yet but it'll be at the same place
(down town SFSU campus) and time two weeks from yesterday: please feel
welcome to join us.  If you let us know you are coming we can have an
image ready and do the install with you.   I assume it currently works.
(Some of the old ones had a clock issue and unbricking them requires
some special equipment.)

If you eventually find you don't have a use for it, there are worthy
projects that would be happy to accept an XO 'green machine' as a
donation.

Cheers,
Alex