[NBLUG/talk] RAID1 and partitions

Allan Cecil ac at sonic.net
Fri May 1 12:19:05 PDT 2015

You are not an idiot.  Ultimately, whether you use no RAID at all, full RAID, or something crazy like Ceph depends on your usage needs, and everyone has different usage needs.

RAID is a great guard against drive failure (usually), but is *never* something to rely on as a backup because corruption usually hits both disks.  As long as you're using RAID as another tool in the toolbox to confront spinning disk destruction you're on the right path. :)

Omar, to your original question, if you can get your hands on it you might want to read Kyle Rankin's Ubuntu Server chapter on RAID configuration.  While you may be on Ubuntu desktop the instructions should carry over OK.

Best of luck,

A.C.
******