[NBLUG/talk] Talk for May 12th General Meeting

Allan Cecil allan at nblug.org
Fri May 8 12:32:40 PDT 2015

Greetings, members!

I had discussed with the board that we did not have a speaker for May and that I would be sending out an E-Mail to solicit the talk list for speakers, but then I had a lead on an outside speaker to give a talk.  That lead fell through, so now we're back to not having a speaker for this upcoming Tuesday and there's not a lot of time left.

So, do you have a talk you would like to give, or do you know of someone who might like to present?  If no one steps up, are any of the following topics I might be able to present on of interest?  These can (preferably :) be for future months if someone else is able to present this month.

 - Configuring OpenWRT on a home router with USB attached NFS storage
 - Serial usage in Linux devices in 2015 - why it's still hanging on and some nifty tricks for working with it
 - Out-of-band management options for Linux systems - IPMI / ipmitool, OpenBMC, and other alternatives on the horizon
 - Raspberry Pi 2 model B running OpenBMC (derived from Kodi, formerly known as XBMC)
 - Using a pfSense firewall on an ADI Engineering RCC-VE small-formfactor x86 device, touching on Network Function Virtualization and services isolation
 - Current state of Linux VPS hosting (OpenVZ vs. KVM, providers, precautions, etc.)
 - OpenStack overview - what it is, what it's good for, and where it's going
 - Gaming in Linux 2015 - an update on the current status of SteamOS and other platforms

Some of these topics deserve more than a weekend's rushed preparation for a talk and some of them might be better later in the year (especially Gaming in Linux which would be better in the November-December timeframe to coincide with the release of SteamOS boxes) but I figured I'd throw out the whole list of things I could present on to see what people are most interested in.  Thoughts?

A.C.
******
President, NBLUG