[NBLUG/talk] SSH tunnels

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Sat May 9 10:30:54 PDT 2015

So I'm still dealing with the issue of connecting to monitoring devices
behind firewalls.  Static IPs will work when they're available.
However, some cases will require an SSH tunnel.  PPTP and IPSec will
work in some cases, but I can't guarantee that the device hosting
network will have a subnet that is compatible with the VPN host's
network.  I.E. for instance they both use 192.168.1.x for their subnets.

I'm trying to reach an http server behind a firewall from myseverxxx.com
port 3001.  This is the command I use on the http server machine:

ssh -f -R 3001:localhost:80 myserverxxx.com -p 123 -N

But it doesn't work.  I use port 123 because I don't like to use default
ports for ssh.  I don't get any error messages, nor do any error
messages appear in my logs.  I've opened up port 3001 in my firewall on
myserverxxx.com.  Is there anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?

There was a suggestion that ssh tunnels be a meeting topic.  I can talk
about them, and what I'm using them for if I can get them to work, if
there's interest.

Thanks,

Omar