[NBLUG/talk] UEFI and CentOS installer boot parameters

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 10:24:49 PDT 2015

I'm using CentOS 7.1 on a Dell PowerEdge R630.  I hadn't bothered with UEFI
on any of our older servers, but this one has a RAID array larger than 2TB
(i.e. so big that I have to use GPT).  In order to continue using BIOS, I
would need to install a BIOS Boot partition, which I haven't found a way to
specify in a kickstart file (and I don't want to auto-partition my servers
or install the OS manually).  Which makes this whole thing a weird sort of
"chicken-and-egg" problem.

I did find that CentOS 6 works on the same hardware, in BIOS mode but
without any BIOS Boot partition.  Maybe the older version of Grub is small
enough that it doesn't need a special boot partition?