[NBLUG/talk] NBLUG Tonight: Life After Second Life: Metaverse

Zack Zatkin-Gold zg at nblug.org
Tue Apr 12 17:52:33 PDT 2016

There's a computer graphics class taught at my university that uses some
private, rented region of Second Life for creating models and such as a
final project.  One of the last lectures of the semester is held directly
in Second Life in a virtual classroom and a working projector for the
instructor's slides.

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016, <gandalf at sonic.net> wrote:

> The wonderful anime / sci-fi movie Summer Wars is based on
> Secondlife/Facebook. It's a typical sci-fi cautionary tale that is very
> well done.
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1474276/
>

> On 2016-04-12 17:31, Allan Cecil wrote:
>
>> Just a reminder that NBLUG is tonight at 7:30.  I have fond memories
>> of reading Snow Crash and the concept of a functional Metaverse
>> greatly intrigues me - this should be a fun meeting.  I hope to see
>> you there,
>>
>> A.C.
>> ******
>> President, North Bay Linux User's Group
>>
>> On 03/29/2016 08:22 PM, E Frank Ball III wrote:
>>
>>>  Topic: Life After Second Life: Metaverse
>>>  When: Tues April 12th, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
>>>  Speaker: Mike Higgins
>>>
>>>  Location:  O'Reilly Media, Sebastopol CA in the Tarsier conference room
>>> past the metal statue and to the right ( http://nblug.org/locations )
>>>

>>> I gave a talk here once before about programming in the video game
>>> Second Life ( http://nblug.org/node/155/ ).  This time I'll talk about
>>> Life After Second Life.  There is a larger world, a Metaverse, of open
>>> source MMORPGs based on the open source Second Life Viewer projects and
>>> the Open Simulator project.  There are hundreds of small companies
>>> trying to make a living doing what Second Life did.  There are thousands
>>> of crazy artists creating 3D environments and inviting you to walk
>>> through them, there are tens of thousands of people setting up virtual
>>> environments on their own PCs and all of these are starting to link up
>>> to each other.  My plan is to not have many slides for this talk, but
>>> log onto several different virtual worlds and put them up on the Big
>>> Screen while I talk.  Eventually taking us to my private world run off
>>> the server in my barn.  - Mike Higgins

Sent from my mobile device