[NBLUG/talk] My reasoning for trying LineageOS

Derek B. Noonburg derekn at foolabs.com
Thu Apr 14 13:31:56 PDT 2022

Hey Brad,

I think you (or maybe someone else?) asked about potential replacements
for google groups.  Another group I belong to has started using
groups.io.  We haven't fully switched over yet (from an existing
old-school mailing list), but it looks like it's a bit more
email-focused than discourse (which is more of an online forum, with
some email support tacked on).

Thanks for the T-Mobile link.  I can't figure out what the difference
is between the $40 prepaid plan I have and that $15 "Connect" plan.
Maybe something to do with roaming, as you mentioned.

I have a PinePhone (not Pro) that I played with a little bit, and then
set aside. The experience was indeed pretty rough back when I tried it.
Maybe a little better now, but I'm not sure.  The SD card setup was
pretty darn cool: made it really east to try out multiple operating
systems - just buy another SD card for $10 or so.

One option that might be interesting -- someday -- is a Linux phone
with an Android emulator (or virtual machine) that could be spun up on
the rare occasions when I really want to use an Android app that's only
available from the Play Store.  That would be similar to Rick's
suggestion of rebooting into Android, but much less hassle (in theory).

- Derek