[NBLUG/talk] An "Open Source Tax Credit" report - useful?

Brad Morrison bradmorrison at sonic.net
Sat Apr 30 06:27:12 PDT 2022

Hi NBLUG,

I started a new job at a local tax and wealth management firm in
February and now that tax season is over I had the time to poke around
the internet and try to learn more about what open source accounting
software there is. While doing that I stumbled upon theĀ  2006 report "An
Open Source Tax Credit"
(https://www.americanprogress.org/article/an-open-source-tax-credit/)
about how developing an open source tax credit for developers who are
not self employed, but still contribute to open source projects would be
beneficial. Currently, self employed individuals and corporations may
already take a deduction for their development expenses related to open
source development, but this proposal would apply to other contributors
that are not in that position.

I'm curious if this would help out anyone in NBLUG with their various
contributions to open source projects - ? How helpful would this
incentive be to open source projects and the open source community?
Honestly, I am not even sure how many members NBLUG has overall, how
many of those contribute to open source projects, how many are not self
employed, etc. much less how much of a difference this would make to
national or international projects. But anything that could incentivize
more open source development is exciting in my book.

Any commentary/insights/thoughts are welcome!

Brad