[NBLUG/talk] January 2022 Wired article - "This 22-Year-Old Builds Chips in His Parents’ Garage"

Derek B. Noonburg derekn at foolabs.com
Fri Dec 9 14:59:42 PST 2022

On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 10:25:07 -0800
Brad Morrison <bradmorrison at sonic.net> wrote:

> This January 2022 Wired magazine article on a university student's
> chipmaking adventures out of his parent's garage was pretty
> interesting. Someone posted the link on Open Source Ecology's
> (https://www.opensourceecology.org/ - a very cool
> project/organization in itself) Workshops Facebook page.
>
> https://www.wired.com/story/22-year-old-builds-chips-parents-garage/
>
> This 22-Year-Old Builds Chips in His Parents’ Garage - Sam Zeloof
> combines 1970s-era machines with homemade designs. His creations show
> what’s possible for small-scale silicon tinkerers.

I love the idea of being able to build chips from scratch in my garage.
It would be really cool to be able to fab a processor -- even 20 or
30-year-old tech would get me something I could run Linux on.  (My
first Linux box was a 486 system in 1995 or so.)

Looks like the reality of it is that even 30-year-old semiconductor fab
tech is pretty complicated.  But maybe someday...

- Derek