[NBLUG/talk] Open source Linux Foundation alternative to Google Maps

Brad Morrison bradmorrison at sonic.net
Tue Dec 20 06:58:22 PST 2022

Derek: I usually still use Google Maps on my LineageOS OnePlus 6T
smartphone, but I access it through the web browser. The problem is that
only the app has turn by turn directions, so if I am alone in the car, I
have missed the correct turn on occasion...

I believe that I have mentioned this to you before in person, but maybe
there are others on the NBLUG talk list that are also running LineageOS
(or any smartphone without the Google Play Store or Apple App Store)
that we don't know about.

As far as the corporate supporters of the effort to create an open
source alternative to Google Maps, I'm guessing that the motivation is
as much financial as competitive control. Does Google charge corporate
users of its mapping software to use the data? I would assume that
Amazon would have to pay licensing fees if their scanners for parcel
delivery use Google Maps and their parcel routing software uses Google
Maps, but it might be more that they just do not want Google to have
access to all of that delivery data - ? It would give Google a way to
target Amazon's most frequent/Prime customers.

I have done some inquiries with various people in the ESG investment
realm about open source software use as the subject of shareholder
resolutions at publicly traded tech companies. Long story, but open
source software inventories are rarely known by shareholders (AKA
publicly available) and there have been very few shareholder resolutions
on the subject of open source software use. Someone mentioned to me that
they had filed an open source shareholder resolution with Oracle in 2007
that got about 3% of the vote, which apparently was not as bad as it
sounded, since Larry Ellison owned about 25% of the voting shares at the
time. I thought that using as much open source software as possible
could be considered a fiduciary responsibility in the sense of not
wasting company resources on unnecessary proprietary expenses. It's a
big project of mine, I'll update as news trickles in...

Tom: I have not used OpenStreetMaps nor Organic Maps on my phone. I also
like that Google Maps has the public transit schedules built into their
directions feature. I don't mind using Google Services as much now that
I am not forced to have a Google account. I take the bus from Santa Rosa
to see my parents in Kenwood fairly often and I do miss not having
access to the NextBus app that Sonoma County transit uses to allow a
transit rider to check where the next bus in, so you know if it is going
to be relatively on time.

Brad