[NBLUG/talk] Linux Mint's "popularity, " package management, and features + NBLUG 7/12 meeting recap

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 18 01:28:43 PDT 2022

Quoting Brad Morrison (bradmorrison at sonic.net):

> Hi Rick, et al,
>
> Thanks for the in depth responses! I was hoping to see you at the
> meeting last night as what you wrote was so interesting that I had
> more questions after I read your email than before. Always a good
> sign!

Apologies for not having shown up (although I live near Stanford
University, and it's a bit of a shlep).  Perhaps a further conversation
online.  Cheers!

(I hope to come back and revisit this matter soon.  Currently, it's
rather late, and I must head off to the land of nod, soon.)

> - we are not an incorporated nonprofit organization

Yes.  As the maintainer (since 2003) of the Linux User Group HOWTO, I've
done my best to capture the matter here:
http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.1

(That's the maintainer tip version at my Web site.  The Linux
Documentation Project publishes the HOWTO, but doesn't always carry the
current version.  Long story.)

> There doesn't seem to be any functioning national/international LUG
> and I went through a lot of dead links trying to even find a list of
> local groups. I did find https://www.linuxusersgroups.org/ but it is
> pretty out of date and NBLUG doesn't seem to be listed there.

Heh.  I notice that the version of the Linux User Group HOWTO they
publish is v. 1.6.2 from _1998_, fully five years before Kendall Clark
of North Texas asked me to please take it over.  That's just a little
sad.  (Tip version is v. 1.8.7 from 2016.)

The Linux User Group HOWTO does aim, among other things, to keep track
of the main useful lists of LUGs, at any given time.  I cannot promise
that my most recent revision is current, as I last touched it six years
ago, but it's a whole lot more current than that one.

> And by the way, are you aware of the #nblug IRC channel?

Yes.  Once in a very, very long while, I pop in there.