[SoCoSA/discuss] Outlook-compatible group calendar?

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Wed Apr 5 15:13:37 PDT 2006

Check out Scalix (http://scalix.com).  A full exchange replacement that sits
on a linux box and provides *seamless* exchange functionality in Outlook and
Evolution with a plugins (that works well and are free).  The web client,
SWA, beats OWA for functionality and being outlook-like (it's a full
javascript web app,with context menu's, dragging, etc.), and has calender
support and integrated public folders in it as well.  Works seamlessly in
Firefox and IE.  iCal functionality for calenders supported as well.

Community edition is free for up to 25 premium users (Outlook/Evolution
plugin), and supports unlimited Standard users (web access, POP and IMAP) and
they recommend you use the free version until you have 25 users.

If you want to test easily, I would suggest installing CentOS on a test box
and just changing /etc/redhat-release to match the banner for a redhat
enterprise box (just look it up).  Easiest commercial product install I've
ever seen.  Automatically installs and sets up Tomcat and it's own LDAP,
IMAP, and POP services, and configures sendmail for you.  May be a bit much
for what you want, but seems to be a nice product.

OK, that's enough advocacy for me know, sorry for the top posting...

-Kevan

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks