[SoCoSA/discuss] Outlook-compatible group calendar?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 16:37:22 PDT 2006

On 4/5/06, Kevan Benson <kbenson at a-1networks.com> wrote:

> Check out Scalix (http://scalix.com).  A full exchange replacement that sits
> on a linux box and provides *seamless* exchange functionality in Outlook and
> Evolution with a plugins (that works well and are free).

Looks interesting... VERY interesting!

Downsides here are (1) that I'd have to sell Linux (*I* would like it,
but currently all servers are MS-Win2K & 2003), and (2) it *looks*
like we'd have to take the e-mail-server functions too (is that
correct?) -- right now, our e-mail server is, in its quiet way, the
thing people are MOST happy with, 'cos it "just works" -- all the time
(it's Communigate Pro, and it's proven rock-solid; replacing it would
NOT sell easily).

Two strikes... not quite "out," but not an easy pitch in this shop.  :-/

> Community edition is free for up to 25 premium users (Outlook/Evolution
> plugin), and supports unlimited Standard users (web access, POP and IMAP) and
> they recommend you use the free version until you have 25 users.

Hmmm.  That'd just about fit us right now...

> ever seen.  Automatically installs and sets up Tomcat and it's own LDAP,
> IMAP, and POP services, and configures sendmail for you.  May be a bit much
> for what you want, but seems to be a nice product.

Well, it needs *some* sort of user-interface and db-ish backend, if
it's going to serve as a group-calendar tool.  I don't need the e-mail
server features, but that's only really a problem if I *have* to use
'em (i.e. if it means we'd be eliminating the CGP that everyone is so
pleased with...)  Even that isn't out of the question (but it'd make
it a much harder sell).

- Steve S.