[SoCoSA/discuss] Linux Support Registry

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 15:50:05 PDT 2006

On 4/28/06, Mark Street <mark at oswizards.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I continue to deploy more Linux boxes in-house the CEO and Board of
> Directors are starting to chirp about support and Linux.... "What if you get
> hit by a train?"  "What if you leave?" etc.  I am sick and tired of some
> people saying we will use Windows because there is plenty of local talent to
> draw from.....  IMHO that is no excuse, there could be plenty of boneheads to
> choose from and a few really capable people that support both Linux and
> Windows.
>
> What would really be nice is a local registry of Linux support companies and
> individuals to draw from.  If I could give the board the name of a few
> companies and individuals that support Linux locally it would be a big boost
> for Linux Support.

Ditto that -- (tho IMHO you're liable to get better linux-specific
response over on NBLUG, the more business-oriented socosa may be the
"right" place for this).

Though I'd like to see this for other technologies besides Linux, too
-- good alternatives to the "dominant" or "obvious" ones -- which,
obviously, aren't always the "best" ones (and often are very FAR from
the best) to support recommendations.  When we (those of us in
positions to suggest "anything other than the market leader") do so,
it'd be nice to have such lists-of-resources to soothe the savage
business breasts...

For example -
Communigate, Scalix, etc (vs. MS-Exchange).
MySQL, while not for everyone, is often ENTIRELY adequate for most
shop's db needs.
Apache vs. IIS.

- Steve S.