[SoCoSA/discuss] Linux Support Registry

David McCall david at dcdigitals.com
Fri Apr 28 17:17:43 PDT 2006

> What would really be nice is a local registry of Linux support
> companies and individuals to draw from.  If I could give the board the
> name of a few companies and individuals that support Linux locally it
> would be a big boost for Linux Support.

>Ditto that -- (tho IMHO you're liable to get better linux-specific response
over on NBLUG, the more business-oriented socosa may be >the "right" place
for this).

>Though I'd like to see this for other technologies besides Linux, too
>-- good alternatives to the "dominant" or "obvious" ones -- which,
obviously, aren't always the "best" ones (and often are very FAR >from the
best) to support recommendations.  When we (those of us in positions to
suggest "anything other than the market leader")
> do so, it'd be nice to have such lists-of-resources to soothe the savage
business breasts...

>For example -
>Communigate, Scalix, etc (vs. MS-Exchange).
>MySQL, while not for everyone, is often ENTIRELY adequate for most shop's
db needs.
>Apache vs. IIS.

And then there are some of us who prefer Solaris, my cup of tea, coffee,