[SoCoSA/discuss] Windows Server 2003 Backup

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Tue Aug 29 16:42:31 PDT 2006

Hey, folks:

I have created a problem for myself.  We have a new Dell server at work
running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition and I ordered it with a
tape drive for backup.  I thought it would be able to use the Travan 20G
native/40G compressed tapes, except that the drive won't do hardware
compression and the Backup Utility that ships with the OS won't do
software compression.

My 'simple' question is:  what's the best way to automate backups so
when I do large backups, I can compress the data?  Is there an
inexpensive software solution that someone could recommend, or a
command-line-like solution that uses native applications?  I'm in new
territory with Windows here (I'm fairly proficient with Linux...  hmmm:
cygwin?).

The data set I'm dealing with is about 25G (currently) and I would do a
full backup of that once a week, or maybe once every 2 weeks, with
incrementals in between.  I also need to do System backups monthly or
so; I'm not sure at the moment how big that is.

Thanks in advance for any useful info!

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley