[SoCoSA/discuss] Windows Server 2003 Backup

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Thu Aug 31 12:21:32 PDT 2006

(resent to the discussion list - I accidentally replied to Rob Alone)
Rob Clark wrote:

> Dave -
>
> Before I start throwing out ideas here...it sounds like you're going
> to be changing the tape in order to do a FULL bkup...unless you have
> an autoloader?  Have you thought about D2D backups?...Dantz Retrospect
> or Symantec BackupExec.
>
> I've always found lots of bkup info for Windows environments at
> http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/ ...although not much for Linux or
> Novell environments.

Thanks, Rob:

You are correct - no autoloader.  It's an internal tapedrive (Dell 100t
Powervault, aka Seagate STT3401a).  Looking at 3rd party apps, I find
them a bit pricey.  Although I admit, I can't figure out what BackupExec
costs, there are so many versions.

If by 'D2D' you mean backing up to an external HD, I'm doing that now,
but as a sort of stop-gap.  I'm using rsync to copy directories onto a
harddive connected to a Linux box.  I'm a little worried about being
able to restore from that, though.  I thought tape rotation would be
easiest because that's what the department was used to and I could get
somebody else to worry about the tapes (smiley).

Now, I'm thinking that expanding and automating my backup to Hard Drive
might be the way to go...

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley