[SoCoSA/discuss] Cheap backup solutions for Windows?

Chris Stone cjstone at sonic.net
Sat Dec 30 22:37:38 PST 2006

On Dec 30, 2006, at 7:59 PM, Augie Schwer wrote:

> On 12/29/06, Chris Stone <cjstone at sonic.net> wrote:
>> BackupPC is what we use to backup our Mac/*nix/Windows work stations
>> to a Linux box (which then gets backed up to tape). Soon to be
>> released v3 has some nice new features, so check out the latest beta
>> as well.
>
> Chris, thanks for the suggestion; I saw that when I Googled around
> before, but it brought up the question in my mind about securing the
> SMB link. I didn't think SMB provided encryption (or authentication)
> and thus would be a bad idea to use over the Internet; am I wrong?

Ah, over the Internet, I see. Yeah, smb wouldn't be good, but some
people use BackupPC with rsyncd + ssh + cygwin. Craig (BuPC
developer) provides a rsyncd + cygwin package in the downloads area.
I've not done this myself, so don't know how much more it would take
to get it working with ssh, but the mailing list is quite active and
I'm sure you could get a hand there.

--Chris