[SoCoSA/discuss] Re: WinXP -- joining a Win2K domain

Trevor Benson tBenson at a-1networks.com
Thu Jul 20 10:24:08 PDT 2006

>I'll look for Directory Sync issues in the logs.  I don't RECALL any such (tho I do recall >"Master Browser" errors on occasion).  Can you give me any other notion of what to look
>for, and/or how to interpret my findings?

<SNIP>

Master Browser is something else to look for.  Basically go through the Directory Service log see if you see any warnings or errors, attempt to resolve (mainly finding servers, communicating with servers, or performing any type of sync of data).  Also check the DNS server logs for each DNS server you have to make sure they are running with only information notices.  Then check the system log and again look for warnings or errors.

In a clean domain you should have mainly info notices, not many warnings, and no errors (for the most part, at least they don’t repeat constantly or at intervals).

That’s the basics.  Normally you can track the issue down on microsoft or eventid.net and find something to attempt to resolve the issue.

Trevor