[SoCoSA/discuss] Re: WinXP -- joining a Win2K domain

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:52:01 PDT 2006

On 7/19/06, Trevor Benson <tBenson at a-1networks.com> wrote:

> >FWIW, the resolution I came to was to revert to a prior system-checkpoint.
> >
> >After that, I re-did the domain-stuff (and a lot of app-loading stuff; it was an older
> >checkpoint), and everything went smooth as silk...
>
> What kind of changed had you made prior to joining this domain? Or was this a box
> in service for a long time on another domain?  All these issues seem strange as a
> basic rename should go well (I think that was your original reason for all of this)
> unless the domain is having issues (which would be noted in event logs on servers
> for Directory Sync issues).

It was a brand-new machine, just rec'd from the dealer.

I'll look for Directory Sync issues in the logs.  I don't RECALL any
such (tho I do recall "Master Browser" errors on occasion).  Can you
give me any other notion of what to look for, and/or how to interpret
my findings?

> I ask as this starts to sound like a larger issue in your environment instead of a
> single system.  Not that changes to an individual system cant do what obviously it did

For now, I'm thinking it was a one-off glitch.  But I will look further.

> just when I see rename and join issues where the stock procedures don't work, and
> DNS is not an issue, the domain usually is degrading to some extent, probably not
> a worry for you, but good to check just in case anyway.

Thanks for the heads-up.  This is my 1st Win-Centric job, so I don't
have a vast store of experience in these sorts of details.

However, it's also a job where the infrastructure has been
hodge-podged together by 2-3 of the less-technophobic staffers
together with an occasional visit from an outside contractor, so I'm
not entirely positive that the domain cannot be "degrading to some
extent."

As an example of "less-technophobic" -- during the interview, as we
were discussing networking, I used the phrase "TCP/IP" and observed a
slight glazing-over, asked if it was familiar.
<pause>
"It's... familiar, I guess.  Something to do with networking, isn't it?"

OTOH, I'm seeing one of the main people here have a stunningly-precise
grasp of EVERY little feature and foible in the app's she (used to)
support, mousing her way a dozen layers into
menus/windows/buttons/etc, obviously not having to scan for
names-of-features, to make one little tweak, for something that can't
be more than a once-every-few-months sort of change.  I've generally
been very impressed with her.

- Steve S.