[SoCoSA/discuss] USB + PS/2 KVM ?

Dustin Mollo dustin at wiredgoats.com
Fri Jun 2 14:42:06 PDT 2006

Steve S. said:
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good KVM switch?

at my desk at work i have an io gear 4 port box.  it supports pcs, macs
and suns.  and it will do both usb and ps/2.  the downside is it takes
their special cables to make it all work.  but for under 200 bucks, it's
not too bad.

in our data center, we use a raritan paragon II with four user stations
and 96 station ports (it starts in a config as small as 4x32).  it's a
cat5 based solution, so you buy a bunch of cat5 cables and their dongles
that attach to the machine.  it supports suns, macs, pcs and any combo of
ps/2 and usb.

those are the two extremes i've experienced.  i know io gear makes bigger
units (i think their largest is either 8 or 16 ports) and i know raritan
makes smaller units.

hope that helps.

-dustin