[SoCoSA/discuss] USB + PS/2 KVM ?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 15:10:43 PDT 2006

On 6/2/06, Dustin Mollo <dustin at wiredgoats.com> wrote:

> Steve S. said:
>
> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good KVM switch?
>
> at my desk at work i have an io gear 4 port box.
<SNIP>
I eliminated "io gear" from my shortlist because it wasn't
clear that it could service all the hardware without extra cabling,
but that might just be an issue of the vendor relying on inequivalent
promo-literature from the OEM...

> in our data center, we use a raritan paragon II with four user stations
> and 96 station ports
<SNIP>
I wasn't finding "raritan" as inexpensive as the others, so it never got
to my shortlist...

What I'm looking at now includes:
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=426708
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=234480
And, for kicks, an 8-port:
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=219765

My favorite, honestly, are serial-console systems that can run on a
dumb terminal for console I/O, then to run a multi-serial card in a
windowing workstation....  AFAIK, that's *NIX-only, tho (not for the
Windows shop where I am...)

- Steve S.