[SoCoSA/discuss] Thoughts on generating more meeting interest?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 15:02:00 PDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Christopher Wagner <waggie at waggie.net> wrote:

> What do you think would increase your interest in attending a meeting?  If
> a topic specifically, please let us know what that is.  Also, if you have
> thoughts regarding attracting new members, please express them.
>
> We've had some fascinating topics lately, and we would really like to
> share that experience with more sysadmin types.

I think general "get the word out" is what SoCoSA needs...

But, the other thing is "firefighting" mode -- does the upcoming topic address
a problem we're grappling with *NOW*?  If it's relevant to putting out TODAY'S
fire (or the fire we see looming on the horizon), sysadmin's fighting
those fires
are likely to come.  If not... <shrug>  It goes into the
prioritization-queue, and
may or may not come up on top in that timeslot.

> That said, I hope to see you all at our meeting over at O'Reilly next
> week.  In case you don't know, we're going to be hearing from Darren
> Nicholson regarding Patch Management, with specific attention with regard
> to dealing with dynamic threats.

See, now... anyone who's wrestling with patch-management issues is likely
to see this as a godsend.  Anyone who's looking to patch-vs-threats, ditto.

Anyone who's recently been reamed by upper mgmt on the topics, or who's
suffered a hack/break-in which forensics say could have been prevented by
an available patch, will limp in wearing their battle-scars.

The rest of us?  Many, like me, will toss it into the queue.  Sure, it
seems like
a decent topic, with interest and professional value.  Does it have as MUCH
value, in the work/life equation, as getting another few chapters of the Perl
book digested, or working on a project with the kids, or *finally* doing that
overdue evening-hours upgrade of our server (brownie-points from the boss!),
or *insisting* that the wife take a bubble-bath while I make sure the Everfull
Plate of Cookies at bathside stays everfull, or... well, lots of things.  Maybe.
Maybe not...

I really think that "getting the word out" to as wide an audience as possible is
the key.  You *have* to presume that Other Things will always keep some people
away, even if they WANT to come; but if the pool is big enough, you'll
likely get
decent attendance even so...

FWIW and all that...

- Steve S.

  Who doesn't really have any /new/ thoughts on "getting the word out"
that didn't
  come up previously on-list or at the first meeting; sorry...

  IIRC, there's a "Group of Groups" umbrella for groups like SoCoSA --
maybe other
  groups in like circumstances have suggestions?  Despite their
Bay-Area-ness, I'm
  dubious that groups in San Francisco or Silicon Valley would have
the same sorts
  of challenges that SoCoSA does...