[SoCoSA/discuss] db (etc) --> Wiki or...?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:46:11 PDT 2006

All,

At work, we have a gazillion-an-one different sorts of hints, clues,
"official" proceedures, and other "business process" data:  how to use
this kind of equipment, how to call/authenticate/use the services of
that service-provider, how to perform this function or that, safety,
both OSHA and "accumulated wisdom" (we have field-work, and
rattlesnakes can be an issue...), etc etc etc; I'm SURE that I don't
know of all of it.  They've been written by various people through the
years; some of it is quite obsolete, such as the (rather extensive)
info on a server that we decomissioned 4ish years ago.  Others are
more-or-less correct, but include incorrect bits (such as referring to
the right procedure, on the wrong server).

One of the main repositories is a FileMaker Pro database.  Others are
individual files, generally MS-Word format, scattered through many
different places (different folders, different servers, etc).  There
are a "corporate rolodex" and a "corporate calendar" in FMP.

It's... well, it's ugly.  Often, people can't find the info they need.
 Sometimes even the AUTHOR can't find the info; often, someone is sent
searching for something important with a "Oh, yes, it's in the <foo>
directory, or maybe <bar>, or somewhere... just look, you'll find it!"
 (yes, I have sometimes been that "someone" sent searching...)

One of the things I'm considering is converting it ALL to a Wiki (or
maybe something else, if folks have other suggestions).  I've used a
few wiki's, but never implemented one.  Does anyone know of:
 (a) data-import tools (e.g. FMP --> Wiki) to make the Grand Changeover?
 (b) a Wiki that includes wysiwyg features, so that people don't have
to manually markup their data on an ongoing basis?

Do folks have any other suggestions?  Maybe someone has used another
product, and thinks it'd be better than a Wiki?  Or...?

- Steve S.