[SoCoSA/discuss] WinXP -- joining a Win2K domain

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 17:11:39 PDT 2006

Susan Baur <susan at cdl.edu> suggested:

Trevor Benson <tBenson at a-1networks.com> suggested:
> Try deleting the computer account in AD that you manually created, and then attempt to join. This account is created automatically for you anyway, and creating it ahead of time is a throwback to NT4 domains.  Short of that the only other thing should be having DNS set to ONLY your AD server, if you have a secondary or tertiary DNS entry pointing to an ISP or some external DNS source, you are probably getting that one when you try to join.

Thanks, but no joy from these.  Yes, I deleted the old AD entry on the
server before booting the computer in its "new" identity.

I also tried deleting the AD entry and letting it all "auto-create"
when I tried to join the domain.

DNS appears to default to our in-house DNS server; I didn't set
*anything* for DNS, but let it find its own (which should be just our
internal DNS server(s), not an ISP's; and "nslookup"
talks to our in-house DNS primary.

A Win-admin I know suggests rename (to something else entirely) /
reboot / rename (to the desired value) / rebooot / join domain, so
that's next on my list...

Thanks to both of you... and, folks, MORE please!

- Steve S.