[SoCoSA/discuss] WinXP -- map a network drive before hardware?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed May 3 09:58:56 PDT 2006

Hi, all...

I've got a new MS-Win XP Pro system, which has a multimedia
card-reader installed; this means that the system boots with removable
drives all the way through "I:" pre-configured.

For legacy reasons, we have extensive references to a "G:" drive,
scattered throughout our infrastructure (embedded in documents, called
by scripts, etc).

Can anyone point me at directions whereby I can insert a
network-mapping for G: (or simply "reserve" it for later use) before
the card-reader grabs that label for its own?

Thanks!

- Steve S.
  More of a *NIX geek, but soldiering on...