[SoCoSA/discuss] WinXP -- map a network drive before hardware?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed May 3 11:36:42 PDT 2006

On 5/3/06, Christopher Wagner <waggie at waggie.net> wrote:

> Hi Steve!
>
> I think it's possible to do it the other way around.  You should be able
> to specify a drive letter for the card reader interface(s) in the device
> properties.

Well, Chris... *I* think I should, too.  But that's just a statement
about personal preference... even though I "should" be able to -- I
can't.  :(

Explorer>G:>Properties pops the window labeled "Removable Disk (G:) Properties".
It doesn't have any tab, window, radio-button, or any other
configurable element (that I can find) which gives me the option of
specifying/relabeling/turning-off "G:" .

Using the Control Panel, I can go to "System>Device Manager" and get
similar (but a bit more detailed) stuff, but still no option vis-a-vis
"G:"... or, I can use the "Add Hardware" wizard (which doubles as a
frontend into the troubleshooting wizard -- it's a generic "drives and
network adapters" tshoot, beginning with 4 radio-buttons:
 * "CD/DVD does not work"
 * "having a problem with HD or FD"
 * "network adapter does not work
 * "having a problem with tape drive or backup program
And 5 minutes of THAT sure looks like it's going to be useless for my wants...

My Googling has implied that "TweakUI" may have a relevant tool; that
may be my next angle of attack.

- Steve S.