[SoCoSA/discuss] OpenVPN? Or...?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Thu May 18 16:37:51 PDT 2006

On 5/18/06, Trevor Benson <tBenson at a-1networks.com> wrote:

> Openswan is a fairly decent product.

Onto my list it goes... thanks!

> FYI: WinXP/2k boxes work much better on domains when they
> have L2TP (or PPTP) because they will be assigned a local address.

You mean "local" to the remote site being accessed?  Eg, if an ISP
assigns the address 123.123.123.123 to the client workdstation, don't
most (all?) VPN's create a virtual network-interface that "tunnels" over
the real one -- but the Virtual interface would have a separate (generally
RFC1918) IP address in the range that the destination network has...?

> Without configuring DNS settings or WINS then you probably want
> the VPN client to be a standalone system (not joined to the domain)
> and accessing resources on the network via IP.  Otherwise I think
> your going to run into headaches without providing WINS and DNS
> when the tunnel gets initiated.

Is there a reason NOT to bring up WINS & join the domain after setting
up the tunnel?  Getting DHCP to assign an IP, etc?

- Steve S.
  (Who has done this stuff via Cisco-native tools, but not Windows).