[SoCoSA/discuss] OpenVPN? Or...?

Trevor Benson tBenson at a-1networks.com
Thu May 18 15:44:02 PDT 2006

Openswan is a fairly decent product.  And there is a client to use just IPSEC for Windows, and Mac I believe has one as well that doesn’t require L2TP.

FYI: WinXP/2k boxes work much better on domains when they have L2TP (or PPTP) because they will be assigned a local address.  Without configuring DNS settings or WINS then you probably want the VPN client to be a standalone system (not joined to the domain) and accessing resources on the network via IP.  Otherwise I think your going to run into headaches without providing WINS and DNS when the tunnel gets initiated.

Trevor