[SoCoSA/discuss] Meeting Tonight (Tue, 2007/04/03): Sysadmins As Guardians of Privacy (EFF)

Eric Eisenhart freiheit at socosa.org
Tue Apr 3 15:16:44 PDT 2007

Note: this is the plan as far as we know, but we've had a little trouble
getting ahold of tonight's speaker, so there's a slight possibility that
we'll be winging it instead.

When:    Tonight, Tuesday, April 3rd.  6pm for pizza, 7pm for talk.
Where:   O'Reilly Media Inc. in Sebastopol; Tarsier meeting room; walk
         between buildings on right (towards lawn) and turn right.
         1005 Gravenstein Hwy North, Sebastopol, CA, 95472
Topic:   Sysadmins as Guardians of Privacy
Speaker: Danny O'Brien, Activism Co-ordinator, Electronic Frontier Foundation

  Accusations that the NSA has access to 20Tb of commercial phone data.
  Mooted plans by the Attorney General to introduce compulsory data
  retention.  Meanwhile, Google has all your email, that online quiz site
  knows your political opinions, and MySpace knows what your children like
  for lunch.  Danny O'Brien takes a whistle-stop tour of our privacy laws,
  the current status of surveillance, and how the best chance of protecting
  privacy in a digital age might just lie in you and your fellow SysAdmins.

  Danny O'Brien is activism co-ordinator for the Electronic Frontier
  Foundation. He also writes the "Life Hacks" column for MAKE magazine, and
  continues to edit Need To Know, Britain's most sarcastic geek newsletter
  since 1997. He has written and presented science and travel shows for the
  BBC, and performed a solo show about the Net in the London's West End.

  The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is often described as the "ACLU
  of the internet".  From the Internet to the iPod, technologies are
  transforming our society and empowering us as speakers, citizens,
  creators, and consumers. When our freedoms in the networked world come
  under attack, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the first line
  of defense. EFF broke new ground when it was founded in 1990 well before
  the Internet was on most people's radar and continues to confront
  cutting-edge issues defending free speech, privacy, innovation, and
  consumer rights today. From the beginning, EFF has championed the public
  interest in every critical battle affecting digital rights.

--
Eric Eisenhart <freiheit at SoCoSA.org>
SoCoSA Founder and President
Jabber/GTalk: freiheit at gmail.com