[SoCoSA/discuss] Call For Speakers

Eric Eisenhart freiheit at socosa.org
Wed Apr 4 10:05:01 PDT 2007

Greetings fellow system administrators;

Have something new and cool you've been working with that makes some aspect
of your job amazingly easy?  Know all the intricate details of some topic or
tool that most people have only skimmed the surface of?  Recently discovered
all the evil terrible dark corners of something you've been forced to use?
Why not give a talk to some friendly local sysadmins?  It's fun, it's easy,
and it's great practice for that presentation you need to give the VP next
quarter!

Who: You!
When: The first tuesday of some month; 7pm.
Where: O'Reilly in Sebastopol
How Long: 45 minutes to 1 hour, 15 minutes.  We could even do 5 or 15 minute
          talks, we'd just need to find some other short topics like that
          and group them together in one night.
Topic: Anything that's likely to be of interest to system/network
       administrators.  We prefer most topics to be fairly technical, but we
       do like to throw in a non-technical topic now and then.  Something
       Windows specific or Unix specific is fine.
What to expect: ask and we can provide a projector.  Internet access during
                your talk is also easy.  Attendance figures will probably
                depend on the topic, but we've been getting 12-15 people
                pretty regularly and more is certainly possible.
What you get: fame and prestige.  A sense of accomplishment.  More educated
              colleagues.

This is a little more aimed at potential speakers from organizations that
normally do speaking engagements, but still should be useful:
http://socosa.org/speakers

Some ideas for topics that we've tossed around before: monitoring tools such as Cacti or Zenoss;
legal/regulatory issues such as Sarbanes-Oxley and HIPAA; VMware; cfengine;
puppet; ghost; bootable recovery CDs; RIS; kickstart; building an RPM; CVS
and/or subversion for system administrators...

Anyways, if you think you might be interested, send an email to
steering at socosa.org.  (or we can talk about it on the discuss list if you'd
rather).  Right now the June meeting and beyond is open, but we'll be
actively trying to find speakers for June pretty soon; I'm hoping maybe one
of *you* will be the June speaker.
--
Eric Eisenhart <freiheit at SoCoSA.org>
SoCoSA Founder and President