[SoCoSA/discuss] VPN networks

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Thu Dec 20 14:20:21 PST 2007

Oh, don't get me wrong, untangle sounds great and I will be looking into
it and think a presentation on it would benefit the group. It's just it
may be overkill in our situation as we currently have systems doing all of
what we want except for the VPN thing. Looking at untangle as a
replacement for all or some of these systems is interesting, but I see it
as a separate issue to the needed feature.

We currently have a debian server providing mysql database serving, apache
web serving and samba file serving as well as numerous automated tasks. In
addition we have another linux server in a high speed environment
providing email serving, web serving and other serving functions.

Implementing a new server and/or replacing systems on one of these servers
will need careful consideration. Adding and configuring a package to one
server does not need anywhere the level of planning, but can be tried out
to see if it fits.

Untangle looks very, very good. Would it work for us? Perhaps, but I'll
have to consider that carefully and do a lot of reading.

I'm primarily looking to attach remote windows computers to a internal
(safe) windows network via the internet.

I'm not really looking at creating a session on an individual windows
machine. We have software that we are currently doing this with, but are
considering replacing it with an appliance that integrates with our KVM
and would also get us consol remote access to our linux servers.
--
"There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something
interesting to do while you are alive." — Orochimaru (Naruto)