[SoCoSA/discuss] snmpd

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 16:51:51 PST 2007

This is the first time I've worked with snmpd (using Cacti to
monitor/query network server and vm bandwidth stats), and I'm having
some difficulty.

I should mention that I've tried this on a vm with a public IP and on
a vm with no firewall and a local IP from the same DHCP server. Both
give me timeout responses. At the moment I don't have another
standalone linux box, but the virtual servers should be sufficient.

I've installed snmpd on both systems, and configured them to have the
same community and opened up the firewall on port UDP 161 for
communication.

Here are two errors that I'm getting:

# snmpget ns2 sysUpTime.0
snmpget: Timeout (Sub-id not found: (top) -> sysUpTime)

# snmpget -v 1 -c public ns2 SNMPv2-MIB::sysUpTime.0
Timeout: No Response from ns2.

ns2 is the remote servername (w/ public IP) in my hosts file. Even if
I use the FQDN I get the same errors.

Do any of you have any ideas? I'm fairly sure I've overlooked
something but cannot figure out what.

Thank you.

Sean