[SoCoSA/discuss] snmpd

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 10:45:09 PST 2007

After working with wireshark and tshare (the GUI and command line
successor to ethereal), I found that both systems are receiving
packets from the other for snmp. What doesn't happen is an actual
connection. This traffic occurs on only the destination port of 161
(UPD). Because of this I think we can rule out the possibility of an
interfering firewall.

Upon further digging of the logs, I found that when I perform a local
querry, an snmp connection is logged, but nothing is logged from an
external querry. From this I figure that the connection is either
being silently denied due to a configuration problem, or there is
something else happening that I cannot think of.

Below is an updated snmpd.conf file that I put together from a sample
from a forum post I found. I saved the copy I put together from Eric's
suggestions for future use/reference. At this point I have no idea
what else to do, so I'll wait for suggestions.

Thank you for your help, and I apologize for my sporadic information.

snmpd.conf:

com2sec local 127.0.0.1/32 public
com2sec localnetwork 192.168.1.0/24 public

group MyRWGroup v1 local
group MyRWGroup v2c local
group MyRWGroup usm local

group MyROGroup v1 localnetwork
group MyROGroup v2c localnetwork
group MyROGroup usm localnetwork

## name incl/excl subtree mask(optional)

view all included .1 80

## group context sec.model sec.level prefix read write notif

access MyROGroup "" any noauth exact all none none
access MyRWGroup "" any noauth exact all all all

syslocation Server OFFICE