[SoCoSA/discuss] blocking brute force attacks

Trevor Benson tbenson at a-1networks.com
Thu Nov 29 09:01:09 PST 2007

If you don't need open SSH access to the server from anywhere I would suggest creating a management group of IP's and use that in iptables to make an allow ssh rule, then deny from all other IP's.  If you cannot do a management group other article with recent and timed connections is a really good way to limit the amount of brute force attacks, however you will likely still get large amounts of logs with ssh attempts, just not as many as a totally public host.

Trevor