[SoCoSA/discuss] ATT T1 line with Cisco 1841 Router

Jim Oser oserj at oserconsulting.com
Tue Aug 12 23:27:48 PDT 2008

A customer in San Rafael got a new ATT T1 line with Cisco 1841 Router.

T1 goes into one side of the router. His 3 public IP addresses come
out the other side of the router.

He doesn't have the user name and password for the router. Should he?

The router also came with a modem to supposedly manage the router but
he doesn't have an analog phone line to connect to the modem.

Today, I wanted to find out if the output of the router could be
configured for 192.1.x.x , so I called ATT and got the run around.

The provisioning engineer said, I needed to call 888-613-6330 option 2
option 1. When I called this number, they couldn't help me because my
T1 was working. The guy didn't know if I could set up the router for
private DHCP. He said that I needed to email the Life  Cycle Team at
rm-awmis at ems.att.com

So should I just get another router, and used the output of the Cisco
router as the input of this router, and then set the output to
192.1.x.x  or should I hassle with ATT to setup the Cisco 1841 Router
for DHCP 192.1.x.x or can the Cisco router even be setup for this?

Prior to this he had DSL with a Netopia router, so originally I
thought I could use the Netopia router, but the Netopia router is for
DSL only.

Incidentally his DSL speeds are:
Download 1199 Kb/s
Upload        495 Kb/s

and his T1 speeds are:
Download 1396 Kb/s
Upload       1063 Kb/s

so getting T1 didn't help him much.

If he had told me that he was going to do this, I would have
recommended Sonic.net

JIm

Jim Oser
Oser Computer Solutions