[SoCoSA/discuss] [NBLUG/talk] Help with locating good software

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Tue Oct 14 11:30:26 PDT 2008

Yeah, if you have any perl experience, of have someone on staff who
does, RT might be what you want.

It's dependency chain can be cumbersome to deal with when installing,
but it's not too bad if you install guides at their wiki.

There's a few different versions, RT (Request Tracker), RTFM (that's
Request Tracker for FAQ Management, not what you thought. ;), and RTIR
(RT for incident Response), RTFM and RTIR being variants on RT.  See
http://bestpractical.com/products.html for more info.

Time tracking, due dates, tickets dependencies and relationships and
much more are supported "out of the box".

RT is extremely customizable in that all actions performed by the system
are handled by "scrips", a type of pseudo perl that operates on RT
objects (in the sense of a programming object).  Thus, extremely
advanced modifications can be made without changing the source code
(which is also very easy).  for example, the auto response on ticket
creation isn't part of the system, but handled through a scrip that
comes already configured.  Want to turn it off, change the text, or make
it give a different text based on the submitter, queue, or ticket
content?  Easy.  Want to check every transaction (comment, reply, etc.)
on a ticket for certain content or a certain user and mail watchers of
the ticket?  Also easy.  Throw in the ability to define custom fields to
hold specific information about tickets, users, transactions, etc. and
it can do just about whatever you want.  I haven't put much thought into
inventory management through it, but it would have to be integrated
through custom fields, as it's not in the base system.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm sure RT could fit your needs fairly
well, but getting it to that point will take a fair bit of sweat equity.
  The cost is good through (free!).

P.S. It occurs to be this would make a good SoCoSA talk.  If there's
still a location to do it and a willing audience, I'd be willing to give it.

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks