[SoCoSA/discuss] [SoCoSA/notify] Meeting: SoCoSA's future: tonight

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Mon Jan 5 22:43:45 PST 2009

Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> So, obviously the first Tuesday of January is out (it's tomorrow).  Do
> February 3rd and March 3rd work for you?

OK, I'm sure I can have something ready by February.

As for what presentations we can do, here's what's on the table:

1) Using RT as a Ticketing system.  Extending RT to meet custom needs
(featuring our configuration that handles all tracking of our billable
hours).

2) Using GlusterFS as a clustered file system for redundancy and highly
available systems.

3) Implementing Directory Services with Red Hat Directory Server /
CentOS Directory Server (featuring howto replace windows AD with
RHDS/CDS and mixed environments).

4) Installing and configuring an Asterisk PBX system.

5) Redundant (transparent fail-over) firewalls providing highly
available services using OpenBSD and PF (think Alteons, Barracuda load
balancers, etc.)

6) Setting up Nagios for site monitoring.

7) Using Operation Update services to provide accurate patch level
reports for system administrators.  Full disclosure: this is our ever
delayed commercial product that tracks errata for multiple operating
system types in a single database.  It's minimal website is at
http://operationupdate.com.

OK, so that's a lot.  The only presentations I feel confident I could
have ready by February are the RT and GlusterFS ones.  As for the rest,
people can vote on order of interest, and we can modify that based on
what we feel adequately prepared to present at the time.

Hopefully some other people can step in with some other presentations
between some we can do, otherwise we might get a bit burnt out (and I
may turn into a shambling mass of PowerPoint bullet points).

--

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks