[SoCoSA/discuss] PDA with simplest programming?

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Mon Mar 1 10:04:02 PST 2010

Well, unfortunately I think you'll probably want a smart phone of some
type, whether you hook up the service or not (you can get most unlocked,
  but at quite a larger cost).  Everything new that I know of seems to
be a smart phone.  If you really don't want something new, you can
probably ignore all the rest of this.

Unless you already have a Mac, don't bother with an iphone/iPod touch if
you want to write apps.  Their SDK is Os X only.  The iPod touch IS very
cheap though... (but it will cost you more money to become a developer
unless you jailbreak it).

Something with Android might be worth looking into if you need to
utilize compiled libraries.  It requires code be written in java, but
can load system libraries.

Palm's WebOS platform looks to me to be the simplest (and cheapest).
Apps are written in HTML/CSS with javascript for logic control (with
extended JS functions to use phone capabilities).

Of course, you could get a windows mobile device and write for that.  I
don't know much about that, but this link seems to have good info.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2102042/how-to-start-developing-windows-mobile-applications

Getting an old HP iPAQ or Sharp Zaurus has lots of potential.  These
don't seem much cheaper than anything else though, and still seem to be
pricey.

Now, NOT having written any apps for PDAs or smart phones (although I
have been interested and have paid attention to new developments), I
think I would recommend Palm's WebOS class devices.  The Palm Pixi goesw
for new $79 with contract, or $399 without, but since they just
announced the Pixi Plus and Pre Plus at CES 2010, I suspect there will
be quite a lot selling on Ebay somewhat cheap.  Development should be
dead simple, and it's not like there isn't a TON of info on HTML/CSS +
JS development, and plenty of extra API's to choose from.

P.S. If you aren't adverse to jailbreaking an iPod touch, that's
probably the most full featured versatile PDA you'll find.  $199 no
strings attached (except all the strings continually trying to restrict
your usage...)

Steve S. wrote:
> H'lo, all...
>
> I'm looking for a new PDA, my current one seeming to have reliability issues...
>
> Not worried about compatibility w/ my old model.  The main PDA
> functionality I'm wanting is calendar/scheduling.  However, I'm also
> interested in writing a few of my own app's.  These would be purely
> for personal-use (I don't anticipate much wider interest) and while
> I'm a bit of a geek I really don't want to get involved in much of a
> learning-curve for getting these app's -- I don't care about the
> programming, per se, I just want the apps.
>
> So, I'm looking for a PDA with an API that's quick-to-learn and quick-to-use.
>
> Can anyone point me either at a good model/line/etc of PDA's, or a
> better venue for this question?
>
> Oh, and NOT a smartphone; the iPhone, Droid &c are drool-worthy, but I
> don't want $350/year (and up) plans!
> Just the PDA, thanks!
>

> Many thanks for any hints, directions, clues, etc...
>

> - Steve

Kevan Benson
A-1 Networks