IMAP questions

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Thu Aug 23 14:49:01 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:45:11PM -0700, Christopher Wagner wrote:
> IMAP is not a good idea if you're receiving large attachments, it bogs
> the server down to a pretty much unusable point after about 3 megs of
> attachment until it's done parsing the message.  (A company I did
> consulting for INSISTED on using email to receive print jobs, ugh)

Hmm...this has not been my experience.  Do you use maildir or mbox
mailboxes?  I'd bet that could be part of the problem.  At our office, I've
gotten folks used to not being able to send emails larger than 5 or 7 megs
in size (not sure what the limit is off the top of my head).

Since moving to Courier-IMAP with maildirs, our mail moves so fast that
people think it's broken sometimes.  hehe...course part of that is our old
mail server was a SGI Challenge S w/ 64M of RAM and our new mail server is a
PIII 750 w/512M of RAM ;)

-Dustin