Sound card pain and suffering...

Cameron Tully-Smith lpstudy at sonic.net
Sat Feb 17 23:49:28 PST 2001

At 10:09 PM 2/17/01 -0800, you wrote:
>As for this kind of mistake, it happens to everyone. I once spent an hour

Thanks for being understanding. :)

>How about the date/time probem? Was your assumption on UTC/GMT correct?

I ended up setting the clock in the machine's CMOS setup to UTC.  The next
time I booted Linux, it subtracted 8 hours to get PST and it's working fine
as I write this.  Thanks for following up on this.  If I have further
problems, I'll probably remove /etc/adjtime and regenerate it using hwclock
--utc --set --date='xyz', then hwclock --adjust (though it runs hwclock
--adjust every minute via cron and it hasn't had problems yet, so it
appears that the /etc/adjtime file is just fine...  makes sense since it
was off by 8 hours every time I booted but, otherwise, the clock wasn't
drifting at all).

BTW, when I went into CMOS setup, the clock was set to PST.  I must have
gotten confused...  or, the clock stayed set and the Linux just subtracted
8 hours when booting each time, thereby driving me nuts and working exactly
as it was supposed to. :)

With the sound and clock fixed, everything's great now.  Thanks to you and
everyone on the list for all of the help.

Cameron
lpstudy at sonic.net