Weired help request

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Wed Oct 30 09:17:18 PST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Murry Shohat wrote:
[snip]
> I need to restore a Vaio notebook to pure W2K operation. It had been a
> dual boot machine. When I simply loaded the CD and tried to perform a
> full install, including an NTSF format of Drive C, a weird thing
> happened. At the reboot phase, LIL- comes up and the system hangs.
>
> How can LIL- come up when the drive has been reformated under NTSF? And,
> how can I get out of this endless loop?

Idea 1:

When you boot the W2K install disk, it should give you a chance to press
"R" to enter rescue mode.  Have it verify and "repair" the master boot
record.

Idea 2:

Boot a Linux rescue disk, get to a shell, and type:
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<hard drive> bs=1024 count=1024

This will clobber your MBR and then some.  Run the install again.  When
Windows doesn't see a valid MBR it should install one.

Idea 3: (already mentioned)

Boot DOS and run "FDISK/MBR".

Best of luck (You'll be needing it without Linux!),
Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  Just once, I wish we would encounter an alien menace that wasn't
  immune to bullets.
                  -- The Brigadier, "Dr. Who"